Dear SIA Members
Steve Gibbs, CPMSIA represents the Safety Institute of Australia Ltd (SIA) on Standards Committee EL-036 and has advised that the public comment period on draft of AS/NZS 3760 "In-service safety inspection and testing of electrical equipment", closes on the 12th Februrary 2010.
This draft is a revision of AS/NZS 3760:2003, and specifies procedures for the safety inspection and testing of low voltage single phase and polyphase electrical equipment, connected to the electrical supply by a flexible cord and/or connecting device.This draft also includes fixed RCDs and portable inverters.
NOTE - Additional requirements for portable generators are covered by AS/NZS 3012.
Typical examples of equipment covered by this draft are:
1. Portable, hand-held and stationary appliances, designed for connection to the low voltage supply by a flexible cord and plug;
2. Cord sets, cord extension sets and outlet devices (also known as electrical portable outlet devices, EPODs or power boards);
3. Flexible cords connected to fixed equipment in hostile environments;
4. Portable safety isolation transformers (includes power adaptor/plug-pack, both of the transformer and switch-mode type);
5. RCDs - portable type (PRCD), socket outlet type, and fixed switchboard type;
6. Battery chargers including commercial and industrial;
7. Portable and transportable heavy duty tools such as high pressure washers and concrete grinders. Input direct to Standards Australia using the attached document, is invited.
Please click here to view the Public Comment Draft
Dr George Rechnitzer FSIA
Chair, National Technical Panel
Safety Institute of Australia Ltd