Our vision is for safe and healthy people in productive workplaces.
We pursue our vision by:
- Advancing the health and safety profession, to deliver the highest quality advice.
- Being a voice for the profession to positively influence the development of health and safety policy and practice.
We carry out our mission by:
- Building educational standards and consistency through the accreditation of higher education.
- Maintaining and developing a body of knowledge for the health and safety profession.
- Building confidence in the capability of the profession through the certification.
- Creating and delivering professional development opportunities for our members and others in the field.
- Fostering innovation to ensure the growth and development in ideas and the adoption of new knowledge in the field.
- Fostering positive discussion and debate on health and safety models and practices.
- Providing policy advice and advocacy on behalf of our members.
- Forming views on health and safety research priorities and promulgating those views.
- Supporting our members to undertake research.
- Delivering a range of information products and services to members.
- Creating opportunities for participation in standards committees, and the conduct of advocacy on policy.
- Engaging in partnerships with other stakeholders to achieve common goal.
In the conduct of our activities and in the behaviour of all of our representatives, from board members, staff members, branch representatives and throughout our membership, we seek to reflect the following values:
- Openness and transparency - While protecting individual rights to privacy and organisational responsibilities, we are open in our dealings with our own membership and with other stakeholders.
- Delivering and executing - We judge ourselves and are judged by others on not just our words but our actions. Our focus is on delivering results.
- Listening and learning - We will be informed by the insights of our diverse membership and other stakeholders.
- Acting with integrity and respect - The leadership of the SIA: its governors, staff and many volunteer leaders will act with integrity and show respect for others and the diversity of their views.
- Being collaborative - We seek to achieve our goals through collaboration and partnerships with organisations that share our vision and our values.